Standard Based Instruction
Our academic focus is on standards-based instruction and incorporating rigor. Units have been developed to facilitate this. Students also work on constructed responses to demonstrate deeper understanding of the standards. They show their work and explain their thought processes.
Our teachers have been trained in Write From the Beginning and are implementing thinking maps throughout the curriculum. It helps the students brainstorm ideas, organize their thoughts and develop their thinking skills.
Ready Common Core Mathematics:
- Encourages students to develop a deeper understanding of mathematics concepts through the embedded Standards for Mathematical Practice
- Builds on students’ prior knowledge with lessons that make connections within and across grade levels and directly address the major focus of the grade
- Students reflect on their own understanding while making sense of and critiquing the ideas of others in a collaborative and supportive learning environment
- Through Ready Math teachers establish a learning environment that welcomes student involvement
- Students and teachers acknowledge and discuss errors and the reasons behind them so that students build greater understanding
- Students question each other using mathematics arguments to establish the correctness of solutions.
- Students reach and justify conclusions based on their own mathematics knowledge without relying on the authority of teachers.
- Students engage in “productive struggle” with appropriate scaffolds for support.
Solomon students use McGraw-Hill's Reading Wonders as the English Language Arts program. This program is built on Common Core State Standards and offers comprehensive support toward building a strong reading foundation.
Students practice foundational skill building of phonemic awareness, phonics and high-frequency words. Then strengthen fluency while working on vocabulary and comprehension to access complex text. Students work hard to find and use text evidence, while engaging in collaborative conversations. The Reading/Writing Workshop provides all core lessons in one place, while the Literature Anthology builds reading stamina with engaging anchor texts. Students have both digital and print access to award winning literature, word study games, and leveled readers.
Reading instruction is differentiated within the homeroom, ensuring success for students of varying ability levels and experiences. Ongoing student assessments and Progress Monitoring are conducted throughout the year to ensure success for every student.
At Solomon Elementary, our science is hand-on and minds-on. Solomon has been fully implementing the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) since the 2019-2020 school year. We have teacher created units that focus on students figuring out real world phenomena. Students get a chance to explore and use science ideas to explain the world around them.